Post-Offer Employment Testing in Parkville: a key component to preventing an injury on the job
November 25, 2015
Benjamin Franklin once said: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” This concept of preventing illnesses or injuries before they occur applies especially to sports and general health, but one of the most important arenas it must be acknowledged in the workplace.
The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that one in every 10 workers not physically capable of performing the essential functions of their job safely, and when an injury does occur on the job, it can be quite costly for the employer. To reduce the likelihood of an injury taking place on the job, certain companies use a system called Post-Offer Employment Testing (POET). POET exams focus on determining whether an individual is physically capable of performing a specific job in order to minimize the risk of injury.
POET exams help to ensure that an applicant is physically matched to the job they will perform, and they are important for job success, injury prevention and to lower the associated costs that come with a workplace injury. In this regard, POET exams benefit both the employer and employee, and they are considered one of the most valuable injury prevention resources available for both parties.
As you might expect, not all companies or jobs require POET, but they are usually performed for jobs that require high physical demands or for occupations that may be considered a high-risk for injury. POET occurs after a conditional job offer has been made. If the individual’s demonstrated abilities don’t match the essential job functions and physical demands, the offer can be rescinded. Nonetheless, POET shouldn’t worry any new employees if they truly feel they can perform the job applied for, as it is just a means to ensure each individual can handle the physical demands needed for the job.
We offer Post-Offer Employment Testing in Parkville, MD, or any of our other three locations, and can help you facilitate the process of getting started at your new job. Here are some POET highlights:
- Each POET exam will be designed specifically according to each employer and job
- A formal job analysis will first be performed to record the heights of instruments and equipment used on the job, as well as the positions required for each task and forces needed to grip, maneuver, push/pull, lift and/or carry
- This analysis will form the basis of an exam consisting of a series of job-related functional activities, each of which will have to be simulated numerous times (usually three) to ensure consistency
- Heart rate and blood pressure may be monitored during these tasks as well
- A comprehensive medical questionnaire and musculoskeletal assessment will also be performed for additional information on each patient
Though the initial reaction to these tests may be one of concern, you should take solace in knowing that passing them will help to guarantee you’re capable of performing the job resulting in a lower risk for injury. We encourage you to get your Post-Offer Employment Testing in Parkville, MD, and you can call CAM Physical Therapy and Wellness Services at 301-853-0093 to schedule an appointment. For any other aches or pains you may be experiencing, we can create a customized treatment program for you at any of our other offices in Laurel, Hyattsville or Glenn Dale/Bowie, MD.