We offer paid and unpaid physical therapy aide internships for students wishing to gain experience. We are flexible with the hours, if required hours per week can be maintained. To apply or for more information, please call (301) 853-0093 or email us.
Who We Are
CAM Physical Therapy and Wellness is a physical therapist owned, bilingual outpatient clinic that provides high quality care for clients of various age ranges and diagnoses. The goal of our internship is to provide all students with a challenging, instructional setting that allows for the full range of experiences in an outpatient setting.
What to Expect
CAM employs a team approach to treating patients. The Physical Therapist Aides are a very important and valued part of that team. We set extremely high standards for our Aides to understand documentation, correct exercise technique and being part of a successful team. As the student gains confidence, they will eventually be independently responsible for:
- Observing patients during treatment to compile and evaluate data on patient’s responses and progress, and report to the physical therapist.
- Instructing, motivating, and assisting patient’s performing exercises and functional activities.
- Consulting and conferring with physical therapy staff and others to discuss and evaluate patient information for planning, modifying, and coordinating treatment.
- Cleaning and organizing work area while disinfecting equipment after treatment.
- Maintaining the order and cleanliness of the facility.
CAM Physical Therapy and Wellness offer the students an opportunity to gain experience in any of the services we offer: physical therapy, Worker’s compensation, specialty services and Wellness programs.
Workers’ Compensation: Similar to working with the physical therapist, students work closely with our accredited Work Hardening Coordinators to understand program design for injured workers that facilitate safe and expeditious return to work.
Wellness Programs: When working with CAM’s Wellness Coordinators, students will learn the process of developing medically supervised programs for weight loss participants who may or may not have other health related issues. Students will also have the opportunity to learn how to transition patients into a post-therapy wellness program at the conclusion of their physical therapy treatment.
At the end of the fieldwork experience, the student will have the confidence to pursue a career in an outpatient, industrial rehabilitation and/or wellness setting. The student will demonstrate excellent communication (oral and written) skills and have an understanding how to function as part of a team from an outpatient perspective.